Workout C (Weeks 9-12)
You will perform this workout as a circuit. This means that you will complete 1 round/set of each exercise before you move on to the second round/set.
Here are your exercises!
The thruster is an awesome compound exercise that trains knee flexion and pressing at the same time. This exercise will strengthen your quads, adductors, glutes, shoulders, and triceps.
- Grab two dumbbells and hold them up on your shoulders.
- Set a slightly wider than shoulder-width stance with your feet pointing out no more than 30 degrees.
- Brace your core and begin squatting down by bending at the hips and knees simultaneously.
- Keep your back as straight as possible, and your heels flat on the floor at all times.
- Squat down as low as you comfortably can, using a 3-second tempo.
- Reverse the movement by squatting back up and squeezing your glute muscles at the top.
- Using the momentum of the squat, begin pressing the dumbbells up overhead until your elbows are locked out.
- Slowly bring the dumbbells back down to your shoulders and repeat.
You will perform 2 sets of 6 repetitions in Week 9
2) Modified Side Plank
Next is the modified side plank. The side plank strengthens the obliques and the transverse abdominis.
Two muscles that are important in the treatment (and potentially the prevention) of diastasis recti.
- Lie on your side with your body straight and knees bent.
- Prop yourself up on your elbow/forearm, and keep the bottom knee on the floor and bent.
- Extend the top leg so that it is straight and in line with your body
- Brace your core, squeeze your glutes, and hold this position.
You will do 2 sets of 15 second holds per side in Week 9
3) Wall Mountain Climbers
Next is the wall mountain climber. This great exercise will help strengthen and activate your core muscles from a stable position. You can also perform this exercise against a ledge to increase the difficulty of the movement.
- Stand at least 12 inches away from a wall so that you can place your outstretched hands against it.
- Keep your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Brace your core and lift one knee up towards your chest as high as you can.
- Keep your back straight and do not let your hips rotate excessively.
- Slowly lower that leg and repeat on the opposite side.
You will do 2 sets of 8 repetitions per side in Week 9.
4) Kegel Exercises (Quick Release)
For the next exercise, we will go back to the Kegel. This time, we will perform quick-release repetitions.
Before, you were building up and holding the contraction for 5 seconds.
This time, you will squeeze strong and hard, and only hold it for 1 second. Rest for 1 second, and repeat for the desired amount of reps.
You will do 2 sets of 15 repetitions in Week 9.